Glenella Blue Mountains is more than just an accommodation and restaurant venue; it represents some of the best Blue Mountains Guest House history around. Now listed as a heritage building, Glenella was built in 1905 by George Phillips, a carpenter by trade. A south Australian born of Welsh parents, the Philips family moved to the Blue Mountains with his family on account of delicate health of one of his eight children. He purchased three allotments over the years which accounts for the spectacular land and gardens that now surround Glenella.
Glenella displays some of the characteristics of the Federation Queen Ann Style and has features such as:
Glenella Blue Mountains Guest House has been an important focus of tourist activity in Blackheath since 1915.
Glenella was extended by 1915 and became a Blue Mountains Guest House managed by Elizabeth Phillips and her five daughters. A two story section was later added in 1917 to accommodate 60 guests as the tourism trade flourished in the Blue Mountains. Glenella was built, owned and run as a guest house for many years by the Phillips family however the title was transferred into Glenella Pty Ltd in 1939. In 1984, George and Elizabeth, both in their eighties, died but the Blue Mountains Guest House was run for many years by their daughter Leila and then by one of their daughter-in-laws, Laurel.
In 1973 Glenella was passed out of the possession of the Phillips family when it was sold to Michael and Monique Manners during the early part of the 1980’s and its reputation for fine dining was established.
Since the era of Michael Manners there have been a succession of owners who have continued offering classic Glenella hospitality, guest experiences and dining.
Today the owners are Margaret and Rowan Bouttell, who have plans to continue and enhance Glenella tradition in the Guesthouse, plus add more exciting developments and expand the appeal of Glenella in Blackheath.
Glenella Blue Mountains © 2016